The Doctor found your blog!
Hello- yes- sorry! Didn’t mean to surprise you, just a bit of a non-routine routine… checkarooni. Oh… no, not checkarooni. What in the blazes is a checkarooni? Really, Doctor.
But no! Truly, there’s nothing to worry about. Just a bit of a —follow-up, yes, a follow-up, after that whole situation with the Wi-Fi. If you’re wondering, you are A-OK. I think, just one more quick—…… ah, yes. No residual, soul-sucking hotspots here. Relax, and- and… keep on scrolling.
Oh, and if you happen to see a fish on your monitors… don’t be alarmed. He’s microchip-encapsulated, called Barnaby. I had him on the TARDIS monitors and then he just went swimming off into the Wi-Fi. If you see him, just, you know, shoo him in the general direction of my when-and-where.
(Okay, so less of a follow-up-with-the-Wi-Fi, more of a I’ve-lost-my-bio-fibre-optic-fish… but I digress!)
A sungrazing comet is a comet that passes extremely close to the Sun at perihelion – sometimes within a few thousand kilometres of the Sun’s surface. While small sungrazers can be completely evaporated during such a close approach to the Sun, larger sungrazers can survive many perihelion passages. However, the strong evaporation and tidal forces they experience often lead to their fragmentation.
About 83% of the sungrazers observed with SOHO are members of the Kreutz group. The other 17% contains some sporadic sungrazers, but three other related groups of comets have been identified among them: the Kracht, Marsden and Meyer groups. The Marsden and Kracht groups both appear to be related to Comet 96P/Machholz. These comets have also be linked to several meteor streams, including the Daytime Arietids, the delta Aquariids, and the Quadrantids.
Linked comet orbits suggest that both Marsden and Kracht groups have a small period, on the order of five years, but the Meyer group may have intermediate- or long-period orbits. The Meyer group comets are typically small, faint, and never have tails. The Great Comet of 1680 was a sungrazer and while used by Newton to verify Kepler’s equations on orbital motion, it was not a member of any larger groups. However, comet C/2012 S1 (ISON) had orbital elements similar to the Great Comet of 1680 and could be a second member of the group.
Image credit: ESA/NASA
ぬめこっぷ || Artist
this cow is prettier than me
Dude someone once told me I look like a cow and I was like “omg really? Have you seen cows? Because I have and they’re fucking gorgeous and adorable, so thanks”
Fun fact: “cow-eyed” was often used to describe Hera’s beauty since the Athenians considered cows faces so beautiful.